Sunday, April 1, 2012

Difficulties With Diagnosis

     I am not officially diagnosed with celiac disease, neither is my son.  We had him tested when he was about 3 years old and we only got a weak positive. I kept him off of gluten for two years, but because of that "weak positive", I put him back on it slowly.  Well the result of this was that my son didn't grow or gain weight for the entire time he was back on gluten. In fact when we put him back on the gluten free diet he grew three inches and gained 5 pounds. It was amazing, so you see I don't need an official diagnosis to convince me that he needs to be off of gluten.


         Now, about me. I am a mother of four beautiful kiddos, and they are blessings from above.
  After I had my last child (age 25, way too young to have thyroid problems) I began to feel tired all of the time, I had problems with my thyroid and problems with weight gain. I would go to the gym everyday and I still couldn't lose weight. I tried low carb dieting and it seemed to work for me.  I was doing very well and then I saw the most delicious looking cinnamon rolls....well you know what happened. I had to try one.  Immediately I felt tightening in my throat and I just overall didn't feel good. That's when I knew. I knew that it was the gluten that was causing my thyroid to act up and making me feel so bad. I completely cut out gluten and what do ya know in one week my neck had went back to normal size and I had a lot more energy.  I have been off of gluten for 2 months now and I feel great.  It's really amazing what a gluten free diet  has done for me. I can't get a doctor to run the blood tests on me, but I am totally convinced by how I look and feel that this is the right decision for me. I am not a doctor, but I know how much better I feel emotionally and physically. If any of you have had difficulty with being diagnosed I would love to hear from you.


Me now gluten free and feeling great.
My lovely daughter and I while I was still eating gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment