Saturday, May 25, 2013

Gluten Free Mainstream



   Is gluten free going mainstream a good thing or a bad thing?? Well in my humble opinion it is a very good thing. My son has been gluten free since 2004 when no one in Missouri had any idea what celiac disease was. When he was diagnosed there were very few options for him. I had to make trips to very expensive natural food stores and I never left without spending  at least $30 for two or three things. Not to mention having to read EVERY single label and  EVERY ingredient. While we still read labels, there are brands and restaurants that I trust. Time and experience have taught me which brands I trust. 


     I know there is concern about cross contamination and I agree with the concern. Most labels will state whether or not the product is manufactured on a line that also manufactures wheat or gluten. It is like anything else in life we can simply obsess over what might happen if we eat out, try a new product, or order from that pizza chain that can't promise that our pizza might become cross contaminated OR we can try and prevent being exposed to gluten with the positive attitude that it most likely will not happen.


    I think that the gluten free diet going mainstream is a great thing! It will raise awareness, prompt other brands to offer gluten free products, lower the price of gluten free foods and help the gluten free products that are out there improve. (Because lets face it, some of them taste like cardboard and cost a fortune!)  Here is a list of  a some of the brands that I have noticed that are offering more gluten free products. Have a great weekend everybody!!


www.chex.com
www.pillsbury.com
www.postfoods.com


You can also download a list of General Mills products that are gluten free here:

http://www.livebetteramerica.com/health/gluten-free

 

No comments:

Post a Comment